FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Friday, October 20, 2023
PRINCE GEORGE, B.C. – Today, Kevin Falcon and the BC United Northern Team delivered the overview of BC United’s Northern Transportation Strategy; a results-driven approach, unlike David Eby’s NDP government, which has abandoned Northern B.C. by failing to provide the necessary infrastructure results the region deserves.
“This bold plan from our experienced team focuses on investing in northern roads, including resurrecting projects like the Cariboo Connector, building the Taylor Bridge, and ensuring — unlike the current NDP government — that our northern corridors are maintained and repaired for safety and long-term reliability,” said Kevin Falcon, BC United Leader. Our BC United Northern Transportation Strategy will help to drive our economic growth, while providing safer travel corridors for northern residents.
BC United knows northern roads matter to the entire provincial economy and a Kevin Falcon-led government will not leave northern and rural communities behind. Instead, the BC United team has developed a comprehensive plan to build and service necessary infrastructure. This new plan focuses on not just building, but also improving transportation infrastructure, emergency response, and public safety, anchored by the experience and commitment of the BC United team.
“David Eby and the NDP have proven time and time again they are incapable of getting things done, and we’ve seen this with the NDP’s scrapping of the Cariboo Connector program,” said MLA for Prince George-Valemount Shirley Bond. “Kevin Falcon has a proven track record of connecting northern British Columbia, including launching projects such as Phase 1 and 2 of the Cariboo Connector, Nisga’a Highway, Heartlands Roads, and oil and gas exploration roads – all of which have had a profound impact on the provincial economy.”
Kevin Falcon’s successful track record connecting Northern British Columbia speaks for itself. Not just announcements, we get it done.
Expand the Cariboo Connector Program:
- A BC United government will resurrect the Cariboo Connector program, starting with construction of the next two 4-lane projects in the corridor between Cache Creek and Prince George.
Fast track a new Taylor Bridge for the Peace Region:
- A BC United government will immediately approve, fund, and build a new Taylor Bridge to support public safety and a critical commercial traffic corridor in Northeast B.C.
Enhance Safety and Efficiency on Key Highways:
- A BC United government will immediately add three passing lanes to each of the following arterial Highways 16, 5, and 97. These are critical corridors for B.C.’s economy and for emergency response access between communities.
Build more Rest Stops as Critical Amenities:
- A BC United government will build a minimum of two new full amenities rest stops across Northern B.C. for the benefit of local residents.
Focus on Long-Term Infrastructure Safety & Resiliency:
- A BC United government will not only build, but also ensure proper maintenance and repair of infrastructure for long-lasting safety & reliability. Particular attention will be focused on the infrastructure investments needed to respond to climate change. This includes a comprehensive review of rural roads that require paving and safety improvements, median and guard rail additions, and better brushing to reduce wildlife conflicts.